Life is a game we all play, some better than others. There are secrets to life that are kept under wraps, but most of what you need to know is readily available if you seek it out. Here are 42 simple secrets to a happy and fun life!
Photo: Sergey Galyonkin
1. Laugh and smile. Laughter and smiles are scientifically proven to have health benefits. Don’t just wait around for things that will make you laugh and smile, seek them out. Rent comedy movies or go to a comedy club. Smile as often as you can, even if you’re not in the mood.
2. Go and smell the roses. These days the slogan has changed to go and smell the roses. This is because people as a whole are getting out and about less and less thanks to modern creature comforts. Plan a trip and go somewhere new to you at least quarterly.
3. Test your own limits. If there’s anyone that knows your limits, it’s you. But how well do you know them? You may think you know your limits but if you’re not actively testing them it could just be something you thought up and it became your self-imposed limit.
4. Rage against complacency. It’s so easy to get complacent, because the known feels so warm and fuzzy, while the unknown can seem like a faceless monster. Always strive to grow and improve yourself, because if you’re not growing, you’re dying, just like a flower, there’s no in between.
5. Never stop learning. Even if you’re done with formal schooling and training you don’t have to hang up the noggin and call it a day. Keep pushing yourself to learn new things, whether it’s a skill like cooking or a musical instrument, or becoming an expert of a particular time period.
6. Keep your legacy in mind. Leaving a legacy is something we all do, it just depends on the size and scale of it. What will yours be? What do you want it to be? Take a long view of your life as a whole and decide on steps today that will help get you there.
7. Don’t watch the news. When is the last time you watched the news or read the paper and felt better afterward? Trust that the most important news will find its way to you, and you’ll help avoid the barrage of negative and fear-mongering stories presented each day by the big media outlets.
8. Take a daily walk outside. Get outside each day, even if the season doesn’t make it enticing. You’ll be getting fresh air, sunshine, and natural motion that the body secretly craves. Make it a mission and it will become a habit you do without even thinking about it.
Photo: J Aaron Farr
9. Make time for the people you love. Taking time from your day to spend with the people that truly mean the most to you is never wasted time. The same cannot be said for mindless things like TV watching, Facebook checking, Tweeting, etc.
10. Stamp out regrets. There’s no point in regretting things that have already happened, you were just doing the best you could with the information you had at the time. Make it your mission to live in the present and live in a way that leaves you regret-free.
11. Take steps to get organized. If your home, car, and office are a disorganized mess this represents blocked energy. Free up that energy by giving these places a makeover. You’ll be amazed how great you feel when it’s all neat and tidy.
12. Get regular sunshine. Vitamin D is the “sunshine vitamin” but it’s actually a hormone that helps regulate many key systems in the body. If you want to feel your best be sure you’re not Vitamin D deficient. Get sunshine without sunblock and without burning to get your body to produce enough.
13. Celebrate often. Get in the habit of buying a bottle of champagne. Celebrate successes in your life, even if they don’t seem big enough to celebrate. The more you’re in the mentality of celebration the more things will come your way that give you reason to celebrate.
14. Take care of your body. When your body feels good you can’t help but feel good, so take time each day to do something good for your body. The rewards come both in the present as well as the future in the form of living to a ripe old age.
15. Get a clear vision of what you want. In order to have a full and happy life you have to know what you want. How else will you know if you have it unless you know what it looks like. Keep that picture in your mind as often as you can and it will be drawn to you like a magnet.
16. Master a second language (or third). Being able to express yourself in a second language is very rewarding, and helps to keep the brain sharp. If you’ve already become fluent in a second language, consider adding a third.
17. Validate others. Let people know just how much they mean to you. You may feel a bit cheesy at first if this is foreign to you, but it gets easier the more you do it. Don’t wait for someone to validate you, or expect them to validate you back. Give validation just for the sake of doing it.
18. Get paid to exist. There’s no harm in getting paid to do something you’re good at, and if you have a skill or talent that you’ve been honing for a lifetime, you can get paid for it and combine your passion with your need to survive and thrive.
Photo: Sergey Galyonkin
19. Go to exciting events. Always have something on the horizon that you’re looking forward to. It doesn’t have to be expensive or elaborate, even a musical concert of a band you like will get your juices flowing and get you counting down the days like a kid at Christmas.
You may also like: