24. Turn Off the TV. You’ll not only benefit by being more likely not to veg out on the couch, you’ll skip the ads for all the fast food, pizza, and chain restaurants.
25. Meditate and Use Visual Imagery. Rather than focusing on how hungry you are or on the things you’re giving up, spend time clearing your head and picturing yourself the way you want to be.
26. Get a Therapeutic Massage. It’s more than just calories in and out, it’s about feeling good and few things can get you there faster than a massage by a licensed and experienced physical therapist.
27. Stop with the Fizz. Cutting carbonated beverages can go a long way towards helping you reach your goal weight. They not only work to dehydrate you, but many contain caffeine, and even more contain High Fructose Corn Syrup which will really trip up your efforts.
28. Work the Core. This doesn’t mean doing endless crunches or spot treating the stomach. There are many variations of exercises you can do. The core muscles help with many movements throughout the day, and can help relieve pressure on the back.
29 Take a Pass on the Latest Craze. Once you step back from the merry-go-round of the latest trends you can see how silly they are. Choose a solid program to follow and stick with it.
30. Focus on Being Healthier All Around. Yes, the goal is to lose weight, but if you dig deeper you’ll see that feel better is the core of the motivation, and that involves improving the body’s many functions with a holistic approach to health and well-being.
31. Ready, Fire, Aim! Don’t sit around waiting for the perfect strategy to come by, just get started doing something. The interesting thing is that once you start down the road to weight loss, the answers you need will come to you effortlessly.
32. Get to a Happy Place with Your Parents. In his book Heal the Hurt That Sabotages Your Life Bill Ferguson explains that a lot of the struggle in life comes from feelings of unworthiness caused by a dysfunctional relationship with your parents. If you have emotional connections to food this is a good place to start.
33. Pick a Guru, Any Guru. The problem is that there are so many gurus out there, many saying the same things, and others saying everyone else has it wrong, that it can stall your start. Pick the one that resonates most with you and go with what they say, at least until you reach your target.
34. Go Organic Whenever Possible. A recent study tried to debunk organic foods but missed the point entirely. You don’t buy organic because they have more vitamins or minerals, you buy it for all it doesn’t contain, like pesticides, chemicals, and additives.
35. Make More Money. It seems odd that money is connected to weight loss, but many people find that they need to start buying new clothes, eating better food, and getting more active. That costs money, and a lack of it can inhibit your progress.
36. Swim. This is one exercise that gets the whole body involved, helps with circulation, burns calories, and leaves you feeling great if you do it right. Don’t know how to swim or need a refresher? Check out the Total Immersion Swimming techniques here
37. Buy a New Pair of Pants. Buy a pair of pants in the size you want to be. But be careful to use them as a motivating factor as you near your goal, and not a demotivator as you struggle to get into them.
38. Use Better Metrics. Overall weight loss shouldn’t be your main goal, because this includes muscle mass that you can end up losing on starvation diets. What you should really be checking is your Body Fat Percentage (BFP) and your Body Mass Index (BMI). Choose healthy levels for each and strive for those.
39. Learn to Chillax. One characteristic that many dieters seem to share is that they get antsy and feel like they should always be doing something, because it’s being lazy that made them fat. But you have to learn to take some time to just relax and let your mind and body rest, especially now when you are making so many changes.
40. Eat a Light Breakfast. Your digestive juices are just getting going in the morning, so don’t overdo it. Keep it light so you fuel your body without slogging yourself down. SEE: 45 Healthy Breakfasts
41. Eat a Substantial Lunch.This is when your digestive juices are at their strongest, so you should have your largest meal of the day at this time.
42. Eat a Light Dinner. Your body is starting to slow down at this time, and this includes your digestive power. Try to avoid a heavy meal and keep in mind that meats take a long time to digest, so are best avoided later in the day.
43. Use Sea Salt Instead of Regular Salt. All of the nasty stuff that industrial grade salt is blamed for is not true for sea salt. In fact sea salt can help the body absorb and utilize the water that you drink.
44. Stop Smoking. It’s typical to gain some weight when you stop smoking, so if you’re overweight and a smoker you should cut out the cigarettes first, and then work on losing the excess pounds. SEE: 10 Ways to Quit Smoking
45. Have More Sex. This is one way to burn more calories and have fun at the same time.
46. Cut Back or Cut Out Alcohol. Alcohol not only contains a lot of calories, it’s also toxic to the liver, and the liver has a big role to play on making sure your colon, heart, and other organs are working in proper order.
47. Decide If You’re Going to Have a Free Day. A lot of modern workout programs include a free day, where you’re authorized to eat what you’ve been craving, skip on the exercise and then get back to the program the next day. You’ll need to decide if this will work for you, or if you think it would be too hard to go back to the program after a day of cheating.
You may also like: