1. Forget the Past and Future. A lot of progress is lost when thinking about all of the times you’ve tried to lose weight and failed, putting off dieting for a later date, or being stymied by all of the things you’ll have to do in the days to come. Focus on the now and get started!.
2. Don’t Sugar Coat Your Current State. Come to terms with how bad you’ve let yourself get, and make a promise never to return to where you’re at. It’s OK to be unhappy about the way you look, as long as you channel that energy into positive changes.
3. Don’t Overeat. This seems like a no-brainer, but it’s one of the hardest habits to break, and one of the most detrimental things you can do to your body.
4. Take on a Weight Loss Challenge. 90 days is the length of most challenges these days, but you can also find 30 and 60 day ones as well. What a challenge does is gets you to go hard out for a finite amount of time, so you can wrap your head around it. Just be sure to have a plan for when the challenge is finished.
5. Don’t Target a Specific Area. Spot treating rarely works, and can be very demotivating. Focus on improving your entire body and you’ll see those troublesome areas get better over time.
6. Don’t Let Giant Food Corporations Weigh You Down. It’s unfortunate the kind of “foods” the big food companies try to sell us. They’re filled with all sorts of additives and chemicals to get us to eat more of it. Take a timeout on pre-packaged fare.
7. Take Mandatory Me Time. If you’re always providing for others you won’t have the time needed to focus on your weight loss and fitness goals. Be sure to schedule some alone time to collect your thoughts.
8. There’s No One Way to Lose Weight. Don’t pigeonhole yourself into thinking that there’s only one way you could possibly get the results you want. There are many roads that lead to the same path, it’s about choosing the one that works best for you.
9. Why Not Live Up to Your Full Potential? Larry Winget says that the human race is the only living thing in the universe that chooses not to live to its fullest potential. The fit and healthy you is possible, so why not go for it!
10. Integrate Your Different Life Spaces. If you find that you’re an angel while at home, and a devil at work when it comes to eating junk, or vice versa, try to connect your different personas so you’re not working against yourself.
11. Eat More Superfoods. Lost on healthy foods to add to your diet? Our list of 66 Super Foods will give you plenty of insight.
12. You Can’t Get It Wrong. Many dieters think they’ve got to get it just right in order to be successful. But trying and failing is better than not trying at all. Every step you take in the right direction is helping, and is better than a step in the wrong direction.
13. Turn Up the Love. Dieting can put you in a state of self-loathing and grumpiness if you let it, but this is actually detrimental to your overall well-being. Show some love for yourself and be grateful for what you have and your efforts will be more effective.
14. Avoid Toxic People. You’ll likely find that there are some people in your life that seem to bring you down, especially when they see you start to change for the better. It’s best to avoid them if at all possible, and re-evaluate your relationship with them.
15. Find a Step-by-Step Program. If you’re just venturing into the world of fitness, or are too busy to develop your own plan, find one where they lay it all out for you, and just connect the dots each day.
16. Try Kettlebells. Kettlebells can be a bit intimidating at first, but they’re so effective because they combine an aerobic routine and strength training into one. Take a class to get the right form down, and then you can go off on your own.
17. Hack Your Life. These days it’s possible to look up any problem you’re having on the road to weight loss and get a fast answer from someone that’s been there. Example: Having trouble peeling a hard boiled egg? Here’s a way to skip the peeling process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y
18. Stop Changing the Formula. A true fitness professional has dedicated themselves to getting other in excellent condition. Follow their advice and stop trying to add your own ideas or methods, or twisting it up from what works.
19. Go to Bed Early. You set up the next day by how well you sleep the night before. If you’re staying up late into the night you’re making it more likely that you’ll start the day off on the wrong foot. Plus your organs and systems need sleep in order to function at their best.
20. Wake Up Early. If you go to bed early enough, you can wake up early and still get your 8 hours. You’ll also be allowing your body to flush out toxins by emptying your bladder and evacuating your bowels at the optimal time of day.
21. Imitate Your Favorite Celebrity Chef. The more meals you cook for yourself the better. You’ll have more control of the ingredients you use, and appreciate your food more since you made it.
22. Take a Longer View. We all want to lose weight like yesterday, but it took awhile for you to get to this point, and it’s going to take some time to get yourself back to good. Be patient and keep the bigger picture in mind.
23. Switch up the Chocolate. Just because you’re dieting it doesn’t mean you have to give up the chocolate, if that’s your weakness. Just make sure that it’s dark chocolate, and that it’s in moderation.
You may also like: